What is bromelain?
Bromelain is a naturally occurring substance derived from the fruit, juice and stems of pineapples. It is a protein-digesting enzyme mixture, which has been researched extensively. It has several health benefits. It aids in the treatment of multiple health conditions, such as burns, sinus congestion, osteoarthritis, digestive problems, cancer and other medical ailments. It has been used to treat medical ailments for several centuries, especially in Central and South America.
Bromelain can be used topically (applied over the skin) or taken orally. It may be used along with other prescription medications. Bromelain may be good for digestion, removing dead skin cells from burns and reducing inflammation, swelling, muscle soreness, pain and nasal congestion. It is advised to consult with a doctor before taking bromelain. Bromelain is currently categorized as a dietary supplement and generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA).
Sources of bromelain
Bromelain is naturally present in a pineapple’s stem and yellow fruit. Manufacturers may sell bromelain as a capsule, cream, powder, or tablet. Manufacturers may also package bromelain along with other supplements, such as conjugated linoleic acid, which is a compound that may help with weight loss.
The forms and dosage of bromelain
Bromelain can be purchased in pill or tablet form for oral ingestion. It’s also available as a cream for topical use. Even though it’s extracted from pineapple, eating pineapple or drinking its juice doesn’t supply a large enough dose to be effective.
When using bromelain, it’s important to discuss its use with your doctor and follow the dosing directions provided.
Bromelain is measured in gelatin digesting units (GDUs) per gram. Doses range from 80–400 milligrams per serving, two to three times daily. Your doctor may recommend that you take bromelain with meals in order to aid digestion, or on an empty stomach to reduce inflammation.
The 7 potential health benefits for bromelain
Bromelain has several health benefits. It may be advised to take it alone or along with other medications. The potential health benefits of bromelain may help in the treatment of several medical conditions. These include
- Osteoarthritis:Bromelain has anti-inflammatory and pain-reducing (analgesic) properties. It can help reduce pain, tissue swelling, joint swelling, and joint stiffness associated with osteoarthritis.
- Cardiovascular disease:Bromelain has been found to inhibit the ability of blood platelets to clot, which can help treat heart disease, hypertension (high blood pressure), diseases of the blood vessels, and stroke.
- Asthma:Bromelain has anti-inflammatory effects that can help treat asthma and allergies.
- Chronic sinusitis (chronic rhinosinusitis):Taking bromelain orally is effective at reducing swelling, congestion, and other symptoms associated with sinusitis and nasal allergies.
- Colitis: Bromelain can help reduce inflammation and heal mucosal ulcers.
- Burns: Bromelain cream is highly effective at removing damaged tissue from burn wounds (second-and third-degree burns) safely.
- Cancer:Bromelain may be able to help control cancer cell growth. However, it is no substitute for conventional chemotherapy.
FOOD ALLERGEN INFORMATION OF BROMELAIN
|Milk or milk derivatives||No||Yes||No|
|Egg or egg derivatives||No||Yes||No|
|Fish or fish derivatives||No||Yes||No|
|Shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks & their derivatives||No||Yes||No|
|Peanuts or peanut derivatives||No||Yes||No|
|Tree nuts or their derivatives||No||Yes||No|
|Soy or soy derivatives||No||Yes||No|
|Wheat or wheat derivatives||No||Yes||No|
Possible Side Effects
- Side effects commonly associated with bromelain include abnormal uterine bleeding, diarrhea, drowsiness, heavy menstruation, increased heart rate, indigestion, nausea, and vomiting.
- In some people, bromelain may trigger allergic reactions and asthma symptoms, such as breathing problems, tightness in the throat, hives, rash, and itchy skin.
XI’AN AOGU BIOTECH CO.,LTD is devoted into the research and innovation in natural nutritional supplements ingredients. Our own factory and lab with the strict quality control system to ensure quality stability and real price of Bromelain . At the same time, we have our own source for the raw material to make sure the production ability.